It’s no secret that I am not a fan of Monica Vernon. I have many reasons I will not vote for Monica Vernon. Here are my top ten:
1. Monica Vernon blocked me on Facebook. When I asked her why she told me that I was “too negative” and then added that I was the only person she has blocked. If Monica can’t handle my commentary on local matters how will she treat people when it comes to state/national issues? Will she just ignore the people in her district when she doesn’t agree with them? Will she block you, your parents, or other lawmakers? Her skin is not thick enough for the position.
2. Monica Vernon lied to Cedar Rapids citizens when she advocated for the Local Option Sales Tax. She told the Gazette that “It’s all for housing” and the Gazette later clarified that “90% of the revenue from the sales tax–expected to generate about $18 million a year for the city for five and one-quarter years should voters approved the tax on Tuesday–will be used for the buyout, rehabilitation and relocation of flood damaged housing” (Gazette Thursday, February 26, 2009). That did not happen. Instead, historical homes were demolished and people had to wait for the city to get money from the state before they were paid. This while the city made grand plans for a new library, fire station, public works building, and much more.
3. Monica Vernon does not care about working class people. The neighborhoods full of working class people were demolished. Many of the people who lived in these neighborhoods wanted to rebuild but they were told no or denied the same funding other people got because of where they were located. Monica was on the council when all these decisions were made. She never stood up for anyone whose property rights were violated. Monica never made any effort to save anything on the west bank. Nor did she fight for the working class people when it came to buyouts. Houses were torn down before the homeowners were compensated and they weren’t compensated with the LOST money. Furthermore, Monica told me that the Local Option Sales Tax Oversight Committee (a committee I was a member of for one year) in an email that it was set up without authority on purpose! “When we set up the committee it was set up to express concerns and caution the council but with no authority.” “That was by design.” Monica Vernon
4. Monica Vernon doesn’t care about the Constitution. While in office Monica supported unconstitutional ordinances that has gotten the city sued not once but twice.
5. Monica Vernon only became a Democrat when she wanted to gain the votes of the union members. Before that she was a Republican.
6. Monica Vernon’s commercials make her sound like a single mom who knows the struggles. She claims she worked hard from her kitchen table to build a business. She fails to mention that her husband is a successful lawyer and that she is in the banking business. http://thegazette.com/2009/12/23/central-city-bank-sold-to-local-investors/
7. Monica Vernon does not have the courage to take on the “Tea Party gridlock” as she claims in one of her commercials. She doesn’t go to “Tea Party” meetings nor does she try to communicate with anyone that I know of in our local “Tea Party” movement. She will not represent the constitutional conservatives of District 1.
8. Monica Vernon has done nothing for troubled young people in Cedar Rapids. Since the beginning of 2014 seven people have been murdered in Cedar Rapids. Two of the killers have only been caught because they turned their guns on themselves. Young people have no affordable healthy outlets that I know of in Cedar Rapids. She claims in one of her commercials that “we need to stand up for what’s right, together” but she hasn’t stood up for what’s right on so many instances I can’t believe a word she says!
9. Monica Vernon does not clearly understand the meaning of “conflict of interest”. Monica voted in favor of her husbands position on the Board of Adjustments. The Board of Adjustment is where one goes to get zoning changes and variances. I question most of the decisions she has made through the years.
10. Monica Vernon supported giving millionaires tax breaks through TIFs (Tax Increment Financing) therefore competing with local business owners. She has also voted to give hundreds of properties away to these same millionaires. Go to: Get The Facts CR for more information.
Monica Vernon is bad for Cedar Rapids and she would be a disaster for Iowa. While we go through these primaries I hope that people do their homework and look into all the candidates on the ticket and chose anyone but Monica Vernon.
Click on the lit words for sources.
Outside Investors Locomotive Throttles Up
Will Cedar Rapids Gambling Station’s Smaller Local Investors Be Left Hanging?
How Heavily Leveraged is Cedar Rapids Gambling Station?
When Does the Outside Buy out Come?
“Tickets Please” for
Linn County Gambling
We went to the triangle on Blairsferry Road NE and I380 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa where we met the panhandler. Even though we weren’t even in his vicinity (we were across the street) he got mad and yelled at us for “coming around”. We weren’t there asking for any money. We were doing a sign wave exercising our freedom of speech and expression. He acted as if he was entitled to this tiny piece of land and I wonder, does he pay taxes on it? How about the money he makes? He was not nice! We tried to include him offered to “help” him (his sign said “Please help”) but he didn’t want our help he wanted us gone so that he could make money. I’ve given people money on that corner. Never again.
Aside from the rude panhandler we received positive feedback from the drivers! We got a lot of honks and thumbs up. Only one middle finger! You can’t win them all.
The newspaper finally did a story on Greg Hughes but it seemed gender biased. I like Robin Tucker’s idea of taking gender out of the Iowa Constitution. That is something we can do at the grassroots level across the state if we’re tired of the gender bias going on- on all levels.
A couple years ago my son came up from Alabama to visit. He got permission from his father to stay. When I called asking for help he freaked out and filed charges on me. I tried to get a lawyer to help me. There was no way I could go to Alabama. Greg helped me act on behalf of myself and my parents were there in person. Had I not filed the paperwork I did I wouldn’t be here to type this blog. Greg Hughes is the real deal and it doesn’t matter if you are a man or a woman.
I do a lot of court watching. I have gone to I don’t know how many court proceedings over the last few years. I’ve seen these judges in action. People complain about the judges but don’t vote on them. Educate yourselves! There will be more about how to do this on my blogs in the future. Things are spiraling out of control.
Which leads me to why I am voting for Gary Johnson and his Vice President pick Judge Grey. Both know that things have spun out of control within our judicial system. Kids are going to jail and made into criminals over a plant! Why? Because the government can’t figure out how to make money off of it without locking people up for smoking it. Ridiculous is what it is. Hemp could help our environment and essentially save our economy! It’s not like people aren’t going around finding alternatives to smoke to get past the drug testing. I would rather be around a bunch of pot heads than a bunch of people smoking incense! Now they are making up MORE LAWS to restrict the legality of that!
This story is about our “choices” for Congress in District 1, Iowa. What choices have the mainstream media left us with for Congress in this election?
We have the re-run match between the two attorney’s Bert and Ernie (Braley and Lange), the Pro-life nut (Krail), or the factory worker who chairs the Iowa Child Support Advisory Committee to the Supreme Court, Greg Hughes. The only one the media refuses to talk about is the latter candidate! Why? Well listen to Mr. Lynch’s explanation in this video! :Click here for video:
It’s not as if Mr. Hughes hasn’t tried to get the media to talk about his candidacy, they haven’t called and from the way it sounds they’re not going to! I am certain their excuse will be “it’s too late in the election anyway”. This is an outrage! If you aren’t mad you should be!
There is still opportunity to meet Mr. Hughes and discuss with him, in person, things that are bothering you! How?
Well there is a luncheon on Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 1917 Mt. Vernon Road SE in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at 1 pm. If you can’t make it to the luncheon give Greg Hughes a call at 1-319-651-3622 and talk to him yourself! Unlike the other candidates Greg will answer his own phone and talk to you directly!
Could it be because there are people in the media who picks and chooses who gets covered?
One writer told congressional candidate, Greg Hughes, that he’d give him a call on “Monday or Tuesday” it is now Wednesday and no call!
This isn’t just a local problem. This is happening in every city across the country. Good candidates are ignored while bad candidates continue to run our country into the ground. Instead of voting blindly based on television ads- study your candidates!
I am kind of offended that the media is literally ignoring our local candidate for congress. While some outsider gets prime time coverage for being “interesting”. Really? How is Greg Hughes NOT INTERESTING? Does him making it on the Daily Paul as the ONLY liberty candidate in Iowa running for Congress count for anything? How about the fact that he is the chairman of the Iowa Child Support Advisory Committee to the Iowa Supreme Court? Or how about the fact that he is the only viable candidate for congress who isn’t a lawyer!
Why does the media ignore Mr. Hughes? Well they ignore him based on a Governor race (from all four districts and all 99 counties) where he only got 3600 votes. I think that’s pretty good considering he got no real media coverage from the mainstream. Then Mr. Lynch from the Gazette mentioned polls- what polls? How are people supposed to make an informed decision when the media won’t cover them? It’s no wonder people from out of state are running for office! Would the media even know if someone from the Lange campaign didn’t point it out?
Check it out yourself I got it on video!