Former City Council Candidate, Robert Bates, is continuing his battle to have an outside investigation done on the Cedar Rapids Police Department. He made a Youtube video of a phone call he made to the New York Associated Press on May 3, 2013 that became available to the public on May 5, 2013.
Fifteen years after he stumbled upon a memorandum with his name on it claiming he was violent and under a doctors care Robert Bates has made it his life mission to have an outside investigation done on the Cedar Rapids Police Department.
Bates told CRSmells, Ajai Dittmar that he wants to clear his name. “I want to clear my name I am not a violent person” he says “I feel like the media has portrayed me as a mentally ill person who wasn’t on my medication but I am not on any medications at the time of the memorandum I wasn’t even under a doctors care.”
Robert Bates Robert Bates was charged with two felony counts of threats and an aggravated misdemeanor of first-degree harassment in 2009. He paid a $10,000 surety bond to get out of jail.Trish Mehaffey a journalist with the Gazette covered this case in 2011. Mehaffy wrote three articles in 2011 about Robert Bates but never once called him to ask him his side of the story. News reports aired over and over reminding everyone that “Robert Bates, 43, was charged with two felony counts of threats and one count of first-degree harassment.” Saying “he threatened to blow up the courthouse”.
I asked Bates if he’d ever been interviewed by Trish Mehaffey from the Gazette. He said “no, I’ve been trying to tell my side of the story but they won’t report it”.
On October 4, 2011 Mehaffey wrote “An assistant prosecutor told a judge Tuesday neither he nor the Linn County Attorney’s Office had any bias against a carnival business owner, who is accused of threatening to blow up the courthouse in 2009, and the case is being
handled fairly.” Robert Bates asked for a change of venue based on the nature of the allegations to ensure he had a chance at a fair trial and he was denied.
In an article two days later on October 8, 2011 Mehaffey wrote “Sixth Judicial District Judge Robert Sosalla denies both motions based on lack of evidence presented by Bates. “Bates presented no evidence that any district judges had any personal knowledge of the disputed facts or that they were even aware of the alleged threats, Sosalla stated. He also failed to show any member of the Linn County Attorney or the Linn County Public Defender’s offices showed any bias or prejudice against him.”
I asked Bates why he made that request and he told me that he did it because if he did in fact make a threat to blow up the courthouse then everyone there
would have been a potential victim therefore it would be a conflict of interest. “I didn’t get a fair trial because the case didn’t even go to court”. Bates said. I asked him if he was relieved the charges were dropped and he told me “no I wanted my day in court to settle this matter once and for all but the case was dismissed”.
Mehaffy – March 2, 2012 “Assistant Linn County Attorney Jason Besler said he requested medical records from Bates, which were provided last week. It was determined Bates was making “idle talk” and didn’t intend to present a “real” threat. Instead, Bates’ behavior stemmed from a medical condition, which means he wasn’t responsible for statements made.”
Mehaffy never mentions what this so called medical condition is. Bates says “it’s because it doesn’t exist”.
Bates speaking at a council meeting in 2009