I am so glad that the people who live near Cleveland Park spoke out against the “Time Check Recreation Center” going in their backyard. From my understanding the city didn’t start the recreation center– it was started by the neighbors of Time Check and was later taken over by the city’s “parks and recreation” department.
We haven’t had the recreation center for five years. I think that the city has gone too far in asking for federal handouts. With all of the other disasters that have happened since our flood I can’t imagine every disaster going the route Cedar Rapids did and getting very far with the federal government. I hope that FEMA comes back and holds these people accountable for the waste and corruption that has taken place here since the 2008 flood.
If you don’t think the city is spending federal money like it’s free money then you need to take a look at councilman Chuck Swore in this video below.
- Cleveland Park neighbors not pleased with city’s proposed rec center location (thegazette.com)
- Opponents Not Thrilled With Cleveland Park Recreation Center Location (kcrg.com)
- Task force eyes Cleveland Park for new Cedar Rapids recreation center (thegazette.com)
- FEMA pays city the cost to replace the Time Check Rec Center; city intends to use a school modular classroom this summer to serve the neighborhood (cedarrapidsactivist.wordpress.com)
- Bloomberg to Offer Own Sandy Buy-Out Plan, with a Twist (wnyc.org)
- Quick Snapshot of FEMA and SBA Resources for Non-profit Multifamily Housing Operators (enterprisecommunity.com)
- Infographic Design: FEMA on Warning Watch Infographic (digitalsurgeons.com)