“He needs to get out of his own house for his own good” according to the police who forced this man to leave his home today in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Now, homeless, this man’s only crime is not being in compliance with the city and their costly ordinances. He hasn’t broken any state laws.
29.14 – TENANT RESPONSIBILITY
Tenant to maintain dwelling unit. The tenant shall:
(1) Comply with all obligations primarily imposed upon tenants by applicable provisions of building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety.
(2) Keep that part of the premises that the tenant occupies and uses as clean and safe as the condition of the premises permit.
(3) Dispose from the tenant’s dwelling unit all ashes, rubbish, garbage, and other waste in a clean and safe manner.
(4) Keep all plumbing fixtures in the dwelling unit or used by the tenant as clean as their condition permits.
(5) Use in a reasonable manner all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances including elevators in the premises.
(6) Not deliberately or negligently destroy, deface, damage, impair or remove a part of the premises or knowingly permit a person to do so.
(7) Act in a manner that will not disturb a neighbor’s peaceful enjoyment of the premises.
It is cold outside! Where do the city and police propose Mr. Fairchild go since they deemed his house uninhabitable? The streets? It’s his house, I highly doubt he is going to try to set it on fire! What is the deal with this city and poor people? Why does it feel the need to put this man on the street? Are these city ordinances more important to the city staff than people? YES!